As part of efforts to celebrate the World Intellectual Property Day on the 26 April 2020, the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) Nigeria office launched and called for entries into the year’s intellectual property essay competition.
The competition is geared at encouraging conversations on how innovation affects our climate. The essay topic is “Making Innovation Work for a Green Future in Nigeria”. Innovation happens everywhere; energy, food, water, auto services, construction, traditional lifestyles, fashion, waste management to mention but a few. How can we ensure that such innovation contributes towards a greener future for Nigeria, and what role, if any, can intellectual property play in the process?
Entries should be no longer than 1,500 words and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before midnight, 26 May 2020. Subject of the mail should be author’s initial.surname_WIPD Essay Competition (e.g. T.Olayemi_WIPD Essay Competition).
The competition is open to registered students of all tertiary institutions in Nigeria. Winners will be announced in June.
What is up for grabs?
- The author of the winning essay will be awarded a scholarship by the WIPO Academy for a summer school in South Africa.
- Authors of the top 3 essays will receive special WIPO gift packages.
- WIPO Academy Distance Learning Scholarships for the top 10 essays and an IP tour of key IP institutions in Nigeria by the WIPO Nigeria office.
- Blended IP training in international/ sub-regional program.
- Submissions to WIPO magazine and other national magazines for possible publication.
- other exciting professional prizes.
What will the judges look for?
- Clarity of expression, flow and thought;
- Relevance and practicality of essay within the local Nigerian context;
- Relevance of essay to the field of intellectual property;
- Contribution of essay to the relevant national, regional or international developments in the area selected by the author.
Call +2348185653995 for more inquires.